Pin It

restaurant review: Il Focolaio

Prior to my trip to Montreal for my immigration interview I have been surfing for places to eat in the area near the hotel. When eating out I tend to gravitate towards food that has superb taste, regional authenticity if I am eating country-specific fare, and price that is affordable and reasonable. While I crave my usual fast-food, I enjoy trying out dishes and exploring the diversity of a place.

One of the restaurants that have caught my curiosity is Il Focolaio which is the same block as my hotel. Their name is from the Italian language meaning “hot bed” or “fireplace” which is apt as they use a brick oven and firewood to roast their pizza made from  scratch. This place is reminiscent to a restaurant in Boracay my family and I would order pizza from which made me want to try it all the more. 

The night I arrived in Montreal was cold and when I got to my hotel room I almost didn’t want to to go out and eat dinner as my feet were killing me (the shoes I borrowed from my room mate was an inch shorter than my feet). But then I realized I have to seize the opportunity because I don’t know when will I ever go back to Montreal again or try out a brick oven baked pizza. So I bundled up and winced my feet in the damnable boots and took the elevator downstairs. I brought with me my Google map and I was surprised that the restaurant was less than ten meters from the hotel. 

The restaurant was not busy, to my relief, and the guy who was bussing tables told me to just pick a spot where I want to sit. I sat in the middle of the restaurant near the bar and  oven. The oven was not very distinct as there was a  partition that the staff use to prep the pizza. The lady who gave me the menu was really nice and she was prompt in service (it helped that there weren’t a lot of customers). I ordered  the Al Prosciutto and a blond beer. While waiting for my food I noticed staff who brought pizza bags for delivery and I think it’s wonderful that they have delivery service. 

And then finally my food came  A pizza perfection just for me! I took a picture which was torture in itself as I just want to grab a wedge and stuff it in my mouth. This is definitely one restaurant I would love to go back over and over again.

0 tried to make D happier: