Pin It

thank you for the greetings


Today is my 33rd birthday. And because I have Facebook, I have been greeted by fifty-six people already, quite a feat prior to my having a social networking account! I wonder what would happen to birthdays and all those special holidays and life events if Facebook was not invented by Mark Zuckerberg. 

Because I am Filipino, I dread birthdays. It's that day in a year where you are coerced to treat your friends because it's your birthday... as if you owe them for your birth thus "treat them". I think that is the stupidest thing ever! First of all, if they are really my friends, then they should have the balls to treat me instead of the other way around after all it is MY birthday. Second, not everyone has the financial capability to treat all their friends. And lastly, if you can only afford to treat say 3 of your ten friends how will you choose the three without offending the rest. So because of this stupid mentality, I have opted to hide on my birthday and do whatever I wanna do.

Now I am in Canada and the norm for birthdays is different by a hundred eighty degrees. People pay for your dinner or dessert or at least pay for their own meals. And if you get to be invited in a house party you gotta bring your own liquor and a gift. The least you can do is get birthday card to the one who's invited you. 

But I don't hassle people with a party at the middle of the week. My husband isn't here to bring me out to dinner (and pay for it). I dislike the idea that they are also going to think about a present or a card or be inconvenienced by that day in my life that marks me a year older. If tables were turned I don't mind getting them a gift, but because I am in the receiving end I choose to keep things low. This birthday I'll stay in the house and patter around. 

In a few hours this will be over. I'm a year older and hopefully I'll be a year wiser.

0 tried to make D happier: