Pin It

jail time

I found myself last Saturday in jail. Of all places, the last thing that ever crossed my mind was to be in a detention center. Yet I was. For 3 hours I stayed in a correctional facility surrounded by inmates who have murdered, raped, trafficked drugs, and have committed every heinous crime that is punishable with a lifetime sentence. 


And yet despite being in the midst of these criminals, I found myself giggling, laughing, clapping, and actually enjoying myself inside the Cebu Provincial Detention Center and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC) And who wouldn't when I was there watching 15 dances including the popular “Thriller” dance number which exploded in the World Wide Web through YouTube and boosted CPDRC and the Philippines in the limelight resulting to media craze, delight and amazement.


And if you knew the story, it's not the dances that made it amazing but the way they were able to make a180 degree turn from being notoriously corrupt and a source of headache for the provincial government to a disciplined group of inmates and source of pride to Cebuanos. Other penitentiaries have tried to integrate the dance exercise that is being done in CPDRC but they have not been successful because the inmates joy in dancing is just a result of a positive expression of the soul. 


Change was done from inside out for CPDRC and as we mingled with the inmates after their performance it struck me that if I were to loiter inside the BJMP Detention Center which was across this facility I would be heckled. Here, the inmates smile shyly and would not fall out of line all they wanted was a picture taken with them and a chance to smile for the camera. I envy them. They have broken hearts but they are able to push it aside and enjoy the moment and let their soul be immersed with music and dance. I admire their spirit. They find joy even if they are confined inside a gray building year after year.


As we left, I wished that in the future these people will continue this positivity they exude and perhaps they won't be dancing anymore but my desire is for their hearts to still carry a tune of gladness.

0 tried to make D happier: