Pin It

the story of my package

Earlier, I was waiting in line at Window 30 of the Cebu City Postal Office to get a post-birthday present. It was my first time there. So far, this is the only government office I’ve been to where there is no computer at sight. Interesting. Do they find computers an abomination which is why they track letters and parcels? Can’t blame them... if it were not for computers, internet, e-mails, e-cards, e-gifts, e-commerce they would probably be generating more income. Then there’s more competition with cellphones, text messaging, fax machines, telephones, and other courier providers. Come to think of it, with all the competition out there the Phil Post would have meager resources to make them technologically competitive also. Then again there’s this line by Phil Ochs - Where there’s a will, there’s a way. 


Window 30 is where you claim parcels from abroad. There were four other people ahead and my eye zoomed into a good looking Iranian. Mmmmm, I don’t mind waiting now. I waited and watched the chubby post woman at the counter as she dispensed parcels. The girl ahead of me gave the post woman a 3” x 5” card with her name and address (which made me realize that was what I would have to do the same thing when it was my turn, hihihi!). The post woman started rummaging around some 8 fat ledgers beside her and until she found the right one. She leafed through pages until she found the claimant’s name and had the claimant sign the ledger. Then they charge her Php 35.00 for Customs Tax. Some other guy brought her package and opened it to inspect it. Mmmmm... nice demo, I didn’t look like some greenhorn when I claimed my own package.


When it was Mr. Iranian’s turn it he said he lost his 3” x 5”. Interesting. I watched as they ignored him to move on to the next claimant and while processing this the post woman asked if he knows his claim card number so they can look for it in the ledger. Right. Like anyone would take time to jot it down. Of course he didn’t. The verdict was the post woman will just text him after she finds his name in any of his eight fat ledgers. Good grief. 


The poor guy was still standing there (prolly hoping for a miracle) when they brought me my box and opened it with this scary looking knife. Gah!!! Don’t open it! Damn customs! I was relieved to see there was a smaller box inside. I wish the man would drop the knife because if he opened it and some kinky stuff is inside I wish the earth will just swallow me then and there. Excuse me Mr. Good Looking Iranian, could you please cover your ears? I asked the old man and the post woman if they could just read the Customs Declaration Note regarding the contents. Which they did ergo the box was left unopened. Except that fat post woman said aloud the contents of my package which made me blush. I can feel Mr. Iranian’s curious eyes on me.


If they just computerized what goes in and goes out especially for packages then I would’ve saved myself from the embarrassment because Mr. Iranian would be off somewhere happy with his package. Tch!
Digg!

0 tried to make D happier: