Pin It

lessons from the game

"Opinions are like testicles... 
If you hit them hard enough it doesn't matter how many you've got." 
~ Varric, DA II
So lately I’ve been spending a lot of time with my Xbox playing Dragon Age Origins, the expansion pack and Dragon Age II. I know that for some it was a lame way to use up most of summer but hey, whatever floats your boat. 

Like any role-playing game (RPG), DA makes you choose a character and personality and you try to stick to it. You can romance your companions, sleep around non companions, be friends or rivals, push them away so they leave you, and ultimately after all the quests you get to the climax beat the bad guy and try to save the day. But then there are dialogues and gossiping among your companions. And those are the things that I actually look forward to in the game. Most of the time they fight amongst each other. But then they also spend a lot of time looking out for each other’s back. Silly as it may sound but I take it personally if one of my companions betray the team. And if you hurt ‘em, I’ll kick your butt.

Let me say though that I never expected to learn any life lessons from those games...

|Wynne taught me what leadership is about 
|Alistair taught me the value of helping out family as well as looking out for myself
|Morrigan taught me that being a bit evil is not that bad
|Leilaina made me appreciate beautiful things
|Zevran has taught me second chances 
|Sten made me realize that we must learn to be contented too
|Oghren has taught me to laugh from the belly


B thinks my game is slutty, I guess because of the romance options in the game. But that’s fine by me, because a good beer and a laugh makes the dragons worth killing in the end.

0 tried to make D happier: