Pin It

unlisted

I won’t write about New Year’s Resolutions. Call me lazy, jaded, arrogant. Call me anything you want but for me, somehow, New Year’s Resolutions have predictable life cycles...

  • Nearing the end of the year you start thinking about what happened to your year and what you want to change.
  • You make a list... mental, written, typed...of the things you want to “happen” or “do” or “change” the following year.
  • You start your year all excited, adamant, and optimistic that things you want to happen, do, and/or change will happen.
  • This excitement, determination and optimism goes on for a couple of weeks.
  • Within 30 days you realize you can’t make a 100% commitment and then you go back to your “old” self, breaking your resolutions, but making justifications.
  • Then you feel guilty and start to follow your resolutions the next 60 days.
  • But then you forget following it because of the rat race.
  • Six months later the “ber” season is about to start again and then you remember that you had some new years resolution.
  • Convinced it’s not too late you try to work on it again (if you still remember what you resolved to do).
  • But then you forget again a week after.
  • And then Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas happen and then you get too caught up by parties and shopping lists that you completely have shelved your New Year’s resolution.
  • By the end of Christmas you realize a the New Year is just a week away and then you start feeling guilty again and start a mental list of what you want to change for the next year.
  • But then come to think of it your previous New Year’s Resolution is very similar to the mental list you are already making.

Yes, maybe I am cynical. But I prefer to think that my brain is simple and cannot handle any mental lists. So long ago I decided it’s best for me if I realize I want to do or change something in me I do it immediately. Saves me the hassle of remembering.


But then, writing this made me realize I actually have a new year's resolution. That is not to have one.

Digg!

1 tried to make D happier: