Pin It

the price of pain

I was sitting on one of the most uncomfortable chairs in the world. A visit with my cardio because of my persistent heart pain has caused this discomfort on my butt. It's quite obvious that I need not see her, I knew what was wrong and how to fix it but a teeny weeny part of me was hoping I was wrong. 


Tough luck. As I sat in front of her she started quizzing me about my diet. “I'm now pescetarian“. She smiled and I'm glad I got that point. Next question was my smoking. “Lesser but still at it“. Her smile disappeared but she didn't comment. Next was my drinking. “Almost gone doc. I drank a month ago. And that was only one glass of margarita“. She started nodding her head again. Now she came to the part I used to hate to answer, my job. “I quit the call center.“ This I think got me an A+ because she started saying “Good. Good.“ like I was some puppy that didn't pee on her lap.


She asked me to unbutton two buttons of my green blouse so she can listen to my chest. I followed her instruction to breathe in and breathe out and she started asking when my heart started hurting. “Three to four weeks ago doc“ and then she said “I think you should stay overnight for testing, just in case.“


Damn no! I have no Maxicare to pay her and her expensive lab tests!!! So I tried to wiggle my way out of it saying maybe I just need a refill of trusty Z. This made her frown.


Here comes the sermon of the doc, “I have talked to your psychiatrist and she mentioned that during the most stressful time in your career last December to January you did not have any heart pain.“ I swallowed. “Your taking anti-depressants does not help your heart become better. I don't want to happen what you went through two years ago.“  Aaargh!!! Why is she right!!! I'm smart, I can get out of this overnight stay for one in a sad hospital where no one will visit me. Worse the nurses will pity me!!! I tried again.


I confessed that I have no money to pay for hospital bills and seeing her today is cinching me already in the wallet. She listened and had this motherly look that made me want to weep and ask her to adopt me (I always wish my mom had that look sometimes). She replied by asking me what my mother never ever asks me, “How is your love life?“ She could have made it harder for me by adding “and why?“ 


I fumbled that there was no love life. Nada. Rien. Nichts. Niente. Wala. Okay, okay. I wasn't that rude. I said there was no love but there is sex with the ex and then there's the complications of unrequited love. “Hmmm...Okay“ she responded and asked me to button my blouse. She asked when was the last time I saw him. “He dropped by last week at like past 3 in the morning to take a shower because he was full of glitters... And when he left he still has this you-are-still-nothing-to-me-biatch look and it made me really sad and my chest hurt.“ 


As I moved back to sit on the chair across her she started writing down my prescription. I was having second thoughts of buying this drug because I know it's gonna be 3x a day 10 day drug and it'll be around P150 per tablet. Add my Zs. Whoooowheeeeeeee! There goes my embassy fee. 


She passed me the piece of paper and I immediately folded it. I said thank you and asked her if I needed to come back soon. She smiled mischievously and said, “Only if the pain comes back, which should not if you follow my prescription. And I promise you, if your pain persist I'll give you more tests than you can afford.“ Hmmmmm...I had this urge to read it then. Discipline, discipline.


I paid the usual six hundred and started to walk towards the elevator. As I waited for the elevator I pulled out my prescription and read my meds.


“Rx: Stop seeing your ex. Daily.“


You just gotta love that cardio. She knows it well with matters of the heart.

Digg!

0 tried to make D happier: